(Anywhere, Pittsburgh PA, Baltimore, MD)
Arsenal Studios is seeking a Web Developer for a full time opportunity. The immediate objective is to assist in development of our growing custom web software projects with a secondary emphasis on building highly customized CMS driven websites in support of complex, long term marketing campaigns.
In this position, the selected candidate will be working in a PHP / MySQL (LAMP Stack) environment to develop web based software, custom WordPress and Drupal solutions, and dynamic web sites. An ideal candidate will also have experience with front end technologies such as Bootstrap, Foundation and Angular.js (see the “Tool Box” section for all the cool toys we play with). You will be working with a talented team of developers and designers on fun and unique projects. We are waaaay different than your typical ad agency or web design company, and make this distinction as a point of pride. Our clients love us and we love them back. Do you want to share the love?
Just so we are on the same page, here are some example projects that will help you understand the role:
College application system – Work with a small team of developers and designers to create a robust online application system and reporting console for administrators with a LAMP stack back end and a Foundation / Angular.js front end.
CMS development – Work with a designer and front end developer to customize a WordPress site with Advanced Custom Fields or collaborate with our Drupal expert to build sites with Paragraphs. We build deep custom functionality and administrative features for advanced client use.
Budgeting system – Work with a small team of developers and designers to create a Mint.com style budgeting system with a LAMP stack back end and a Foundation / Angular.js front end.
Skills & Requirements
4+ years of experience in some or all of the following:
- Baseline open source back end programming skills (PHP, MySQL or SQL based DB technologies, OOP etc.)
- Custom development of modules / plugins for Drupal / WordPress CMS
- Workflow development within task runners like Grunt and Gulp
- Solid grasp of Object-Oriented Programming (and ideally Doctrine ORM)
- Source control (SVN, Git, etc.) familiarity
- Ability to design database schemas
- The driving desire to learn, innovate, and collaborate with a team of inspired, fun-loving developers and designers
Things you should know or be prepared to learn:
- Working knowledge of SEO best practices
- Experience working within a PHP development framework
- Some familiarity with configuring web servers (Apache / Nginx)
- Build deployment strategies to manage multiple production, staging and development environments
- Mobile development (web or app) experience
- Experience both interacting with and designing RESTful interfaces
Here are some platforms and technologies we regularly work with. Familiarity with any of these technologies is a plus and should be noted in your cover letter / resume. Note that this is just a survey of some of our tools. We are constantly innovating and you will be pivotal in the selection of future development technologies.
- Doctrine ORM
- NPM Scripts
About Arsenal Studios
Arsenal Studios is an ethical web design company. Since 2008, we have experienced growth and success due to our reputation for superior development practices, honesty and transparency through collaboration with our clients, and above all else, high quality websites and software. We care about our clients and are in close contact with them. We regularly work with the same client on a multitude of projects due to our depth of knowledge and problem solving skills.
There are many perks that come along with the job including a generous benefits package, ownership of all the gear we buy for you, employee retreats (last year we went to New Orleans), paid vacation, a flexible work schedule, and policies / incentives that we can adapt to your lifestyle and needs.
You must be an honest, sincere, likable person and be adept at interacting with clients through phone, email, video chat, and in person. Here are some values that we all share:
- Passion for learning: You must possess an autodidactic mindset and zeal for knowledge sharing.
- Forward-looking: We are constantly evolving our practices and working with new technologies. Moore’s law can’t keep up with us.
- Agility: You will be touching many different projects and working in a variety of industries including education, consumer advocacy, NPOs and the arts.
- Positivity: We laugh way more than we grumble. Negative Nellies best step off.
Work From Home
Though we have offices in Baltimore, MD and Pittsburgh, PA, we primarily operate in an officeless work environment and can hire candidates throughout the USA. We work during regular East Coast business hours, but from home or from our personal studios and meet virtually on a regular basis. We supply you with a technology fund so that you can purchase the tools you need to bring the office to you.
Why We’re Awesome
Our salaries are competitive, our employees are friendly, and our clients are more like collaborators. Due to our strong connection with the non-profit sector and education, we have some really unique and fun projects that are unlike anything you have ever done before.
Creating a diverse workplace is a priority at Arsenal Studios. We do not discriminate in any capacity including race, ethnicity, socioeconomic background, sexual orientation, gender, age, veteran status, religious belief, thought and opinion, professional aspirations, and more. Different is good.
Also, in the intangible department, we are a growing team that works closely together. We want the best for our employees. You will be treated like a human, not a code monkey. We truly care about the happiness and well-being of our employees, and in turn, we all happily grow together.
Job Perks: Health insurance, paid vacation, technology and conference budget, team vacation so we can all meet in person, flexible hours, relaxed environment, flexible policies and incentives to match your lifestyle