Do good work with good people for some of the best causes, campaigns, and brands around.
We’re looking for a front-end web developer to join our team at Blue State Digital.
We’ve built websites for organizations and companies including the NAACP, Sierra Club, Google, Partners in Health, the Metropolitan Museum of Art, NYU, and Obama for America, and have developed the email and fundraising platform that powers presidential campaigns, disaster response, and global brands.
BSD’s employees are a mix of veterans of presidential campaigns, agencies, nonprofits, and the tech world—at the top of their game and really nice people to boot. Our developers work out of our offices in New York, Washington DC, Los Angeles, Oakland, Boston, and London. We want our work to matter, are passionate about technology, and aim to continually improve the work we do. Some topics recently discussed in our Slack channel include:
- CSS refactoring techniques.
- When to pursue functional programming and object-oriented programming in JS.
- The potential of headless CMS development.
- Work independently and with members of our design, content, analytics, and account teams to build sites, apps, and other digital products for our clients.
- Use modern web standards to build dynamic, responsive sites based on static design comps and wireframes.
- Contribute to scoping and estimating discussions, working with sales and business development teams as needed.
- Find creative but practical solutions to novel problems.
- Produce quality work on a tight schedule, delivering on time and on budget.
- Actively communicate with project managers and other stakeholders throughout the course of a project.
- Strong knowledge of modern Web Standards (HTML5, CSS3).
- Familiarity with CSS preprocessors such as Sass or Less.
- Experience with responsive design.
- CMS experience with WordPress, ExpressionEngine, Drupal, or other software.
- Familiarity with Git or other version control tools.
- Expertise in cross-browser compatibility issues.
- Appreciation of the nuances of front-end performance.
- An eye for typography, whitespace, and other details that occur at the intersection of design and code.
- Ability to manage client and internal expectations, balancing scope and timelines.
- Ability to translate requests from non-technical people into asks of very technical people.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Experience with PHP, Node.js, Python, Ruby, or other back-end programming languages.
- Understanding of CDNs and other web server technologies.
- Proficiency with Node-based task-runners such as Gulp or Grunt.
- Experience with JS application frameworks, like Backbone, Angular, Meteor, or React.