Genscape’s product offerings are focused on energy data which is captured via patented sensor technology. Beyond our revolutionary sensor IP, Genscape’s offerings are all software/data-based product. The essence of all our commercial products are the result of some of the most talented software engineers in the market. We continue to expand our software suite through organic net-net development as integration of acquired products, technologies & data. Genscape is seeking a talented Junior Database Developer to join our team of software engineers! This Junior Database Developer will work on the next generation unified platform—the latest version just received outstanding customer feedback and so we continue to evolve along the path of our technology strategy.
This team member will work with the Lead/Members of the Application Development Teams in planning, design, development, testing, and deployment of both logical and physical database models and structures. This individual will need to be a strong collaborator and communicator as they will work closely with the Product Developers to ensure that the engineers’ activities are in line with the larger goals of Genscape’s growth strategy. This individual will also work with the other members of the Platform team to establish and maintain design standards to ensure compatibility and consistency in all data environments.
What data environments will this role work with? Many! Given the rate of change of technology, we are always exploring ways to embrace a new solutions of all flavors—open, 3rd party and of course custom/derived solutions we organically create. The DBDev will be responsible for engagement with all Genscape Data platforms which currently includes Mongo DB, Redis, Hadoop, PostgreSQL and MS SQL Server as we migrate away from other more traditional relational data technologies. In addition, our technology team has architected our next gen platform to evolve from operating in a hybrid between hosted and cloud-based data PaaS. Our community and vendor relationships are exceptional so our engineers are often asked to provide guidance/feedback on platform designs as well as test/critique early-stage software from white-board to pre-alpha/beta.
We enjoy engineers who love to innovate and are remarkably passionate about software development in all layers of the stack. Exceptional software developers are as much left- as they are right-brain thinkers given the nature of design and development. Passion for software, drive toward excellence of solution and outstanding team collaboration where ideas can be bounced around for feedback are all aspects of culture we embrace. If you see software as a direct reflection of what you love to do/build and if you say to yourself: “Imagine… I get PAID to do what I love—explore, innovate and develop excellent software with awesome technologies,” then please do come talk to us for this role and/or other roles we have at Genscape.
We look for passionate technologists who love data as well as enjoy working in an autonomous environment where employees are encouraged to expand their careers, explore new ideas, and make a big impact where they work. Come see what we are all about!
What you will do and learn:
- Development of Next Gen Data Platforms covering all types: Relational, Doc, ‘Big’, etc…
- Design/Modify logical models within existing database environments.
- Manage existing data models and create/modify models to meet new functional requirements.
- Work with business analysts and various groups to collect requirements and translate those into logical database models.
- Procedural database programming including PL/pgSQL, T-SQL, PL/SQL.
- Troubleshoot problems when appropriate with support of Database Admins
- Identify potential performance improvements at the data technology layer as well as process improvements for overall effectiveness of the data pipeline
- Perform data analysis, design and development working with senior database developer and/or data architect/scientist.
- Develop new and manage existing ETL jobs for the application databases
- Collaboratively architect, design and develop message distribution system with the core platform architect and app dev team.
- Provide SQL / database support to the application developers for ongoing sprint development cycles where we embrace SCRUM and supporting tools for Continuous Integration.
- Manage the databases in development, Dev and QA Environments and work into Production env.
- Monitor and manage the production data warehousing processes.
- Monitor database backup process.
- Create technical documentation reflecting design and status of systems under development and/or maintenance.
Over your first few months in this position, you will know you’re successful if:
- You demonstrate a strong initiative to provide value in a highly collaborative team environment. We enjoy those who love technology and foster a culture where open discussions on latest/greatest development can be used in various innovative ways to solve real business problems.
- You demonstrate knowledge and carefulness essential to develop and manage business-critical 24-hour operational systems. We live for uptime as our clients are financial traders and expect/demand the most mission critical systems that support real-time Wall Street traders.
- Start with the basics of day-to-day operations before tackling organic development: In your first 30 Days you would know and understand 25% of the system administrator capabilities and be able to complete simple bug fixes/enhancements.
- In your first 60 Days you would know and understand 100% of the diagnostic and critical characteristics of the system and be able to complete most if not all bug fixes/enhancements.
- In your first 90 Days you are able to deliver your first QA ready application and understand the data tier and associated technologies to support data movement, normalization and publication.