The Open Y platform is a content management system that uses Drupal 8 functionality and useful modules from YMCAs and digital partners. It’s easy and free to use—everyone is welcome to implement Open Y and run Open Y projects.
In 2016 a group of YMCA digital, marketing and technology experts recognized the digital opportunities that exist if we work together as a community and established Open Y.
A core team led by a small group of YMCAs including the Greater Twin Cities, Greater Seattle and Greater Houston:
- Pays for expenses associated with managing Open Y
- Maintains the Open Y content management system
- Ensures all basic functionality accessible from the content management system is available free of charge—those who contribute cannot charge others for what is shared
- Strives to be aware of issues found within the Open Y content management system
- Is not liable for bugs, crashes or performance issues of the content management system
- Invites and approves digital partners to join
- Offers training for Open Y Specialists—digital partners that are very familiar with the platform
- Offers certification for Open Y Integrators—digital partners that can install and work directly on the codebase
- Distributes communication about Open Y
- Organizes events for the Open Y community—including an annual meeting each June